History – City of Euless
Euless – It’s History, It’s Past
Elisha Adam and Julia Trigg Euless
In March 1879, Elisha Adam and Judy Trigg Euless purchased a tract of land south of Bear Creek and built a new home and a cotton gin in the area of present day Main Street and Euless Junior High School. In April 1879, Euless petitioned the Tarrant County Commissioners Court to create a road from Bedford, about three miles west of his land, to the Dallas County line at Bear Creek. He requested that the road pass by the “Grange Hall,” which was now on his property. The court ordered the road established and appointed a jury, including Euless, to lay it out. The Grange Hall on the Euless property served as the location for a community school, probably sponsored by the local grange. The Grange Hall was torn down in the early 1900’s after much use. After his settlement there, the community thrived and local farmers decided to honor the popular young man whose arrival and whose gin seemed to coincide with the end of the hard times. They named their community for him.
Photograph Date: 1893 circa / In 1893 Adam Euless was elected sheriff of Tarrant County. In this picture, on the steps of the new courthouse, Sheriff Euless is second from right in the middle row. His son is first from right in the middle row.
Adam Euless continued farming until he was again lured into politics. In 1892 he defeated three contenders in a landslide election for county sheriff, and was re-elected in 1894. Euless moved to Fort Worth when he was elected and was the first sheriff to occupy an office in the newly constructed county courthouse. After two terms, health problems persuaded Euless to retire from law enforcement and politics. Shortly afterward in 1911 a stroke claimed his life, and he was buried in Fort Worth’s Oakwood Cemetery.
Windmill at Heritage Park.
Euless has since grown from a population of 25 in 1915 to a population of over 54,000 in 2008. As Euless continues to grow, City officials strive to preserve its historical significance by restoring the Fuller House (first brick house in Euless) as the City’s Museum, restoring the Himes Log House (Log cabin dating from the 1850’s) and the McCormick Barn (made from lumber from Camp Bowie after WWI).
All three buildings were faithfully restored and are now located at beautiful Heritage Park.
Free tours of Heritage Park are on the second Saturday of every month from 1 – 5 p.m. Special tours for groups can be arranged on a different day depending on staff availability. Heritage Park is located at 203 Cullum Drive, Euless, 76040. For more information on the City Museum and tours, please call 817-685-1649.
Williams, McClure & Parmelee is dedicated to high quality legal representation of businesses and insurance companies in a variety of matters. We are experienced Texas civil litigation attorneys based in Fort Worth who know Texas courts and Texas law. For more information, please contact the law firm at 817-335-8800. The firm’s new office location is 5601 Bridge Street, Suite 300, Fort Worth, Texas 76112.