COVERAGE: [Name of employer] has workers’ compensation insurance coverage from [name of commercial insurance company] in the event of work-related injury or occupational disease. This coverage is effective from [effective date of workers’ compensation insurance policy] . Any injuries or occupational diseases which occur on or after that date will be handled by [name of commercial insurance company] . An employee or a person acting on the employee’s behalf, must notify the employer of an injury or occupational disease not later than the 30th day after the date on which the injury occurs or the date the employee knew or should have known of an occupational disease, unless the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation (Division) determines that good cause existed for failure to provide timely notice. Your employer is required to provide you with coverage information, in writing, when you are hired or whenever the employer becomes, or ceases to be, covered by workers’ compensation insurance.

You may elect to retain your common law right of action if, no later than five days after you begin employment or within five days after receiving written notice from the employer that the employer has obtained workers’ compensation insurance coverage, you notify your employer in writing that you wish to retain your common law right to recover damages for personal injury. If you elect to retain your common law right of action, you cannot obtain workers’ compensation income or medical benefits if you are injured.


EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE: The Division provides free information about how to file a workers’ compensation claim. Division staff will answer any questions you may have about workers’ compensation and process any requests for dispute resolution of a claim. You can obtain this assistance by contacting your local Division field office or by calling 1-800-252-7031. The Office of Injured Employee Counsel (OIEC) also provides free assistance to injured employees and will explain your rights and responsibilities under the Workers’ Compensation Act. You can obtain OIEC’s assistance by contacting an OIEC customer service representative in your local Division field office or by calling 1-866-EZE-OIEC (1-866-393-6432).


SAFETY VIOLATIONS HOTLINE: The Division has a 24 hour toll-free telephone number for reporting unsafe conditions in the workplace that may violate occupational health and safety laws. Employers are prohibited by law from suspending, terminating, or discriminating against any employee because he or she in good faith reports an alleged occupational health or safety violation. Contact the Division at 1-800-452-9595.


Williams, McClure & Parmelee is dedicated to high quality legal representation of businesses and insurance companies in a variety of matters. We are experienced Texas civil litigation attorneys based in Fort Worth who know Texas courts and Texas law. For more information, please contact the law firm at 817-335-8800. The firm’s new office location is 5601 Bridge Street, Suite 300, Fort Worth, Texas 76112.

Martindale AVtexas[2]